Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Diy toddler skirt tutorial

As spring approaches near us it's time for skirts and dresses! It's my favorite thing to wear and to put on my lil girls. I love The fact that I can piece this simple skirt in less than 45 minutes. I can't tell you specific measurements because I basically just eyeball measure from baby's waist and length and leave a few inches to me sewn down. So basically just measure out your child with the fabric and pin. 

Fold over a few inches on the top of the thickness you would like and that's how I see how long it will be on her so I measure it so she will be able to wear it for awhile past her knees. 

When sewing the piece of the skirts top first try to see it to the last row on the foot plate so it will have enough room to look ruffled etc. 

I make sure that the second sewn line is the size of my fingertip for when I slide the elastic in it will have room

When sewing the bottom of the skirt make sure to fold it twice of 1/2 an inch 

When sliding the elastic threw the second sewn line make sure you hold the other end if not you will lose it and it will pop all the way and you will have to slide it out and slide it back in. Trust I let go a few times and it can take away from your project. 

Hold pieces together and see it twice back and forth to secure elastic from popping off. Make sure when you measure the elastic around the child to stretch alil as if they were wearing it and leave an inch extra for growth so it won't be as tight on her. Just my tip. 

Now it's time to connect the final last step of making the skirt. Sew only to the part where the elastic is at. 

And then sew the final top part for the final closure

Flip skirt over and viola!!! A simple but great skirt fit for a perfect lil girl on a nice spring/summer day. The photo on the left is my oldest Lily wearing the skirt I made her and then on the right Kay's matching skirt so both sisters will look cute together for Easter. I've made several skirts today and here is the photos below. Enjoy have fun and don't get too frustrated it took me about two to three skirts to do it as fast as I do it now 30/45 minutes. My first skirt took me about two hours! Remember to always breath. 

This skirt I used two strips of fabric and sewed it to a plain fabric to make it pop! Always have fun and think outside the box so baby can look great and have a unique piece of clothing. 

This is by far my favorite skirt that I've made for baby kay. 

These are the other four skirts I made for kay. The first three I didn't do the middle elastic I just did a regular skirt which is a bit faster but the other looks so much prettier and girlie right? 

Hope this tutorial helped because I really tried to explain it as best as I could being still a novice sewer and no measuring tape lol. 

Stay blessed! 

Xo, Vanessa 

















No comments:

Post a Comment